Jul 22, 2024  
2013-14 Graduate Bulletin 
2013-14 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

6. Student Affiars and Services


6.1 Purpose Statement

As an integral part of the University’s educational process, the Division of Student Affairs is committed to the belief that education extends outside the formal classroom setting. The Division implements programs and services designed to complement classroom experience, preparing students to be educated and productive members of society. Student Affairs seeks to do this by offering opportunities for social, intellectual, physical, spiritual, and emotional growth, by encouraging students to become actively involved in campus life, by serving as an advocate for student concerns to the University community, and by creating an environment responsive to individual differences and representative of the University’s diverse population. Through these services and programs, students will develop a mature sense of value and responsibility, as well as a sound intellectual competence.

6.2 Housing & Residence Life

MUW provides six residence hall options for male and female students who carry a minimum of six hours of academic credits per semester. Contracts are available for the summer, accelerated terms, and the full academic year. Contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life for more information at (662) 329-7127 or Cochran Hall, 2nd Floor.

Living in the residence halls provides countless opportunities for involvement. RAs plan initiatives for each floor and building, provide opportunities for leadership development, social activities and educational activities. Student involvement is limited only by their desire and initiative. The residence halls provide a great environment to make the most of the student MUW experience.

The staff of each building sponsors a variety of community development, cultural, educational, recreational, and community service initiatives. Many times the (Resident Advisors) RAs will host events. RAs should solicit ideas from residents but residents should feel free to share their ideas for events/programs openly as well. Students are encouraged to become involved in the many activities that occur in your building. Not only will students learn some new and valuable information, students will also meet many interesting people who may become their closest friends.

General Information

When a student is admitted to the University, he/she does not receive a room automatically. Rooms may be reserved only by filing out the housing application with the Department of Housing and Residence Life. Moreover, those who elect to live in residence halls are required to participate in a meal plan. Charges for living expenses, which are payable during registration, can be found in the Tuition and Expenses section of this Bulletin.
The Office of Housing and Residence Life is overseen by the Director who has several support staff in place to assist with the daily operations. Staff includes one Assistant Director, three Residence Hall Directors, Coordinator for International Student Services, administrative assistant, two counselors, and numerous student staff.

The Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life oversees the daily housing operation. The Residence Hall Directors work with the Assistant Director in the management of each residence hall and its student staff. Student staff are comprised of Resident Advisors (RAs). Resident Advisors are assigned to various areas where they live on the floors with the residents of that area and serve as peer educators/peer counselors in helping residents connect to the campus.

There are two areas on campus—North Campus which includes Callaway, Grossnickle, Hastings-Simmons and Columbus Halls. Kincannon Hall and Jones Hall make up South campus. Each residence hall has a desk operation that runs from 1:00pm-1:00am (Sunday through Saturday) that serves as the main point of contact for housing questions after normal university business hours.

North Campus is overseen by a professional Residence Hall Director housed in Columbus Hall. Callaway is home to social clubs and student organizations; Hastings-Simmons is home to upper-class female students; Grossnickle is home to freshmen and sophomores in the Residential Honors Program; and Columbus is home to upper-class male students.

Jones and Kincannon are both overseen by professional Residence Hall Directors. Jones is home to upper-class female students while Kincannon is home to the freshmen and freshman Hearin Leadership Program students.


A variety of living spaces are available to students residing in the residence halls. These facilities include suites, deluxe suites (with kitchenettes), and private rooms (when space is available). Throughout the residence halls, students will find study rooms and lounges. Laundry rooms are located in each facility with free laundry for residents. Room furnishings include desks, desk chairschairs, single twin beds, microfridge, and dressers. Students are expected to furnish their own bed linens, blankets, pillows, curtains, towels, and any other articles for personal use or room decoration.

High speed internet access is available in each room; however, if residents wish to benefit from this convenience, they must provide their own computer. For those who do not have a personal computer, there are computer labs located on campus and within some residence halls.

Custodial and facilities staff members are responsible for routine repair and cleaning in common areas such as: lounges, lobby bathrooms, corridors, and walkways.

Procedures and Policies Governing Student Housing

In the Office of Housing and Residence Life, we are looking to the students to govern themselves, to educate themselves, to promote service and activism. Furthermore, we are looking to student leaders, such as yourself, to help lead by being examples (i.e.—pillars of the community).

Every community must have a basic framework within which all members are expected to live cooperatively. The residence hall setting presents a special kind of living situation where students are living in close and constant contact. In this special living situation, it is most important that all residents be informed and respect the guidelines that help maintain a harmonious environment.

As a member of the residence hall family, students are responsible for becoming aware of and observing all published rules affecting your status with the university. Residence hall students are expected to follow the “Code of Student Conduct.” In addition, students are expected to comply with directives from the Office of Housing and Residence Life administrators and student staff. Failure of students to cooperate with any member of the Office of Housing and Residence Life staff when acting as representatives of the university will result in disciplinary action ranging from an educational sanction to eviction from housing residence halls.


Residential students may, within guidelines, personalize their rooms. Personalization includes hanging posters, bringing pictures from home, additional lighting, etc. Further information on this policy may be obtained from the hall staff, the Department of Housing and Residence Life, or the Student Handbook.

Application for Housing

To apply for campus housing, students must send a completed housing application to the Office of Housing and Residence Life, 1100 College Street MUW-1626, Columbus, MS 39701-5800. Signed applications indicate the student’s acceptance of the terms and conditions outlined therein including a $100 deposit. $75.00 of this deposit will be credited towards the student’s room and is refundable prior to June 1, in writing to Housing and Residence Life, 1100 College Street MUW-1626, Columbus, MS 39701-5800, requesting such a refund. Please be aware that the agreement is for the full academic year, including both fall and spring semesters.

Room Assignments

New students will find the housing contract online as well as in the admissions application. Students may also call the office to have one sent to them via mail and/or fax. Returning MUW students generally will go through Room Draw to secure their rooms for the next academic year but may also sign up through the regular contract application.

The housing contract serves as the application for assignment. Being a legal and binding document, we encourage students to fully read over all the articles in the contract before signing. After that point, students are locked into the contract for the room and the charge will be assessed on the student account.

Once a student applies for housing and has completed the application process (which entails submitting both a contract and deposit along with being officially admitted to the university), they are assigned to a space within the residence hall that best fits their class standing and/or request. Students that would like to live together as roommates must request each other on their housing applications or at Room Draw to be accommodated. There are no guarantees on requests for private rooms and all efforts will be made to offer private rooms as they become available during the consolidation process.

Further information on this policy may be obtained from the hall staff, the Department of Housing and Residence Life, or the Student Handbook.

Guest Housing

When space permits, overnight guest accommodations are available for a nominal fee. Reservations must be made within the Office of Housing and Residence Life, 24 hours prior to the overnight stay. Contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life for more information at (662) 329-7127 or Cochran Hall, 2nd Floor.

6.3 Rights and Responsibilities of Residential Students

Primary Rights of Students

  1. The right to read and study free from undue interference in one’s room. One basic purpose of the University is the dissemination and application of knowledge. Unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right.
  2. The right to sleep, the right to one’s personal belongings, the right to free access to one’s room and suite facilities during the period that the residence halls are open, and the right to a clean environment in which to live.
  3. The right to redress of grievance. If the academic and residential communities are to function in the most educationally profitable manner, the right to initiate actions and referrals for impartial and fair adjudication of grievances is paramount. In exercising this right the student further holds the right to be free from fear or intimidation, physical and emotional harm and to be without imposition of sanctions apart from due process.

Subordinate Rights of Students

  1. The right to personal privacy: all persons should have freedom from the interference with their personal activities within the parameters of university policies and the Student Code of Conduct and should be able to maintain privacy for other than academic reasons.
  2. The right to host guests: All students should have an opportunity to maintain personal contacts and friendships with other persons to fulfill their needs for socialization (in accordance with residence life guidelines).

See also 2.2 Student Rights and Responsibilities 

6.4 Student Services

Campus Health Services

Ambulatory care and health education are goals of the Campus Health Center. All students are eligible to use the Health Center. No fee is charged for routine visits though there is a nominal charge for medications, supplies and complete physical exams. The Health Center is administered by the Dean of the College of Nursing and Speech Language Pathology, and it is staffed by nurse practitioners, registered nurses with Master’s degrees, who, in their expanded role, are licensed to diagnose and treat many common conditions. The protocols for treatment are developed in conjunction with the Mississippi Board of Nursing and a collaborating physician, who is available at all times for consultation and/or referral.

The Health Center is open from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday during the academic year. The Center is closed on Saturday and Sunday and during regularly scheduled student holidays. The Health Center is located in Eckford Hall. For questions, call (662) 329-7289.

Student health insurance may be obtained through a commercial carrier.

Campus Recreation 

Campus Recreation strives to provide quality recreation opportunities for the MUW community and to create a safe environment that fosters development of the mind, body, and soul. Five program areas (Aquatics, Intramural Sports, Open Recreation, Special Events, and Wellness) provide excitement and diversity to everyday, campus life.

Campus Recreation manages the Pohl-Stark Complex, which includes Pohl Academic Building and Stark Recreation Center. The complex houses a 5,000 square foot strength/conditioning room, 3 basketball/volleyball courts, an elevated indoor track, 2 racquetball courts, 2 aerobic studios, locker rooms, and an indoor 6 lane swimming pool. The dynamic facility features space for recreation and fitness in addition to classrooms, lounges, meeting rooms, and a state of the art Exercise Science lab.

Campus Recreation employs a large number of students each year to manage the Pohl-Stark Complex and coordinate programming. Students find employment ranging from Intramural officials and scorekeepers to facility staff, personal trainers, lifeguards, and office assistants.

The services and facilities provided by Campus Recreation are free for registered MUW students. Supplementary membership opportunities are available for an additional fee.

For more information call (662) 241-7494 or email campusrecreation@sa.muw.edu.

Career Services

The Office of Career Services, located on the 4th floor of Cochran Hall, provides career planning and development assistance that are responsive to the unique needs of students and alumni. Career Services offers job search assistance to aid students in seeking part-time and full-time employment and internships as well as career management advice for graduating seniors and recent graduates. Career-related services are provided to help students explore and identify suitable academic majors/minors and/or career action plans. In partnership with academic departments, Career Services promotes a greater awareness of the world of work and the need to view career development as a lifelong process.

The Career Resource Library, the largest campus source of career-related resources, has available, various career-related references, books and videos to enhance the classroom experiences, and to assist with educational and career goal setting. Resources address topics ranging from resume writing to interviewing to searching for internships, along with information about majors/minors of interest, and the job search process.

Contact (662) 241-7619 or via email at career@muw.edu for additional information. 


Office of Housing and Residence Life’s Counseling Services offer developmental, wellness, and remedial confidential counseling services to individual and groups of students in a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. These services are free and are offered with a focus upon the well-being and emotional health of our clientele. The following additional services are provided:

  • Mental health screening and prevention programs through the year, i.e., depression, anxiety, alcohol abuse, and eating disorders.
  • Information and literature on various mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, grief, stress/time management, test anxiety, relationship concerns, sexual assault, adult survivors of abuse, and other personal concerns.
  • Referrals to outside professional agencies, if necessary. MUW students are welcome to call or stop in to schedule an appointment at the Counseling Center or Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Counseling Services can be contacted by visiting 324 11th Street South, Columbus, MS 39701 or by calling (662) 329-7748.

Diversity Education and Programs

The Office of Student Life delivers diversity education and programs to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for minority and international students and serves as a link between students and the University community. The staff members are advocates for the needs of the culturally diverse student population. More information may be obtained by contacting the Office of Student Life in Cochran Hall or calling 662-329-7350.

Dining Services

Another vital aspect of University life is the availability of well-balanced meals prepared by Dining Services. The Nancy Hogarth Cafeteria offers unlimited seconds on traditional menus as well as an International stir fry, pizza, grill and a made to order deli along with a soup and salad bar area. Special theme dinners, picnics, and steak nights are scheduled each semester. For the health conscious college student, healthy choices and vegetarian items are available at every meal.

Anyone entering the Dining Center will be required to swipe his/her I.D. card for each meal, pay with their flex dollars or pay cash. Only the individual identified on the I.D. Card may use the card. Students may enter the Dining Hall as often as they wish during the day but must swipe their I.D. card at each time. No outside food may be brought into the dining hall. The Subway Cafe offers an area where individuals who bring their own lunch can sit and enjoy the company of their friends.

Dining Center: The Dining Services facilities are for the use of students, faculty, staff and their guests. Guest meals must be paid for at the current guest meal rates.

The Subway Café: The Subway Cafe is open for your recreation and relaxation during the day. It is a friendly place for meeting with friends to enjoy custom sandwiches, sodas, and snacks. Hours of operation of The Subway Cafe are posted at the entrances.

Special Diets: Resident students with special medical diets may present them to the University Health Center. With the Health Center’s approval, the diet request is sent to the director of Dining Services with instructions for the student to make an appointment to discuss the diet. The individual’s likes and dislikes, class schedule, etc. will be discussed, so that the diet and time can be arranged to best suit the student’s needs.

For more information: Dining Services, (662) 329-7411.

6.5 Student Handbook

Each year, in addition to the Undergraduate Bulletin, MUW publishes a Student Handbook with valuable information such as: the Student Code of Conduct and Judicial Procedures, Rules on Student Organizations, Events Scheduling Procedures, and other policies and procedures related to campus life. The Student Handbook also summarizes many of the policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin and serves as a user-friendly guide to the campus. The full Student Handbook is published online and can be found on the Student Affairs area of MUW’s website. A link is provided on the Current Students landing page. An abridged version of the handbook is also included in the agenda that is given to all residential students at the beginning of the year.