Jun 26, 2022  
2009-2010 Bulletin 
2009-2010 Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies and Procedures


The Bulletin includes information which describes, as accurately as possible, the course offerings, policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements of Mississippi University for Women. The University reserves the right to alter or change any of its rules or regulations at any time to promote the best interests of the students or the institution. Some courses listed in the Bulletin are offered only when there is sufficient demand. Consequently, not every course is offered every year.

Academic Rights and Responsibilities

Student Responsibility

Students are responsible for knowing the published rules, regulations, policies, and standards of the University and of their degree program.

Each academic program has procedures and requirements that must be satisfied before a degree will be awarded. While the University provides faculty and staff advisors to assist students in planning their programs and schedules, the students themselves are responsible for following procedures and meeting degree requirements.

Academic Dishonesty Policy

Students enrolled at Mississippi University for Women agree to abide by the MUW Honor Code, which is “to uphold the highest standards of honesty in all phases of university life,” and, therefore, they agree to refrain from any dishonest academic behavior. Academic Dishonesty can lead to severe penalties, from a zero grade for a test or assignment to expulsion from the University. Academic Dishonesty includes cheating, plagiarism, fabrication, falsification, or other actions that violate commonly accepted intellectual and ethical standards within academic and scientific communities. Policy Statement #3534 applies to work in progress as well as completed work, and it sets forth procedures for appeal to the Academic Standards Board. Cheating and plagiarizing are identified below, as are the consequences of these actions.

Cheating is taking credit for work which has been completed by another person, or assisting others in the misrepresentation of their academic work. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  1. giving or using prohibited written and/or oral information during tests, quizzes, or examinations;
  2. stealing, buying, selling or in any way distributing an examination before it has been administered;
  3. copying ideas or facts from another’s paper during an examination or quiz;
  4. obtaining or providing previously undisclosed test questions or information pertinent to an exam that has not yet been administered;
  5. willfully altering any assignments or any of the instructor’s markings in order to obtain a higher grade;
  6. copying from or writing computer programs for another student;
  7. substituting for another person during an examination or allowing such substitution for oneself;
  8. engaging in an unauthorized collaboration with another student on tests or assignments;
  9. fabricating and/or falsifying laboratory and clinical experiences, internship records, attendance records, research data, survey results, research methods, research results, research conclusions, or any other information and/or process used in the collection and presentation of academic, scientific, or professional material;
  10. misrepresenting, falsifying, or withholding information concerning admission requirements, university enrollment or status, financial aid applications, health records, or other materials required by the university;
  11. misappropriating privileged information or making use of information in breach of confidentiality;
  12. interfering in any way with the research or academic performance of another student;
  13. violating any federal, state, university, or program policy or regulation governing research and academic procedures, integrity, and conduct;
  14. obstructing the investigation into academic dishonesty.

Plagiarism is defined as the appropriation of ideas, facts, phrases, or additional materials (such as maps, charts, artwork, or computer programs) from any source without giving proper credit or offering appropriate documentation. Any material in a paper, report, artwork, or computer program which is not acknowledged is understood to be the original work of the author, unless such material is considered general knowledge. The rules against plagiarism extend to work completed in online courses in addition to those offered in a traditional format. Students who are unsure whether they have used and documented source material correctly should consult with their instructor before submitting the assignment.

Consequences of Plagiarism and Cheating:

  1. A student who violates university, college, school, and/or course policies regarding plagiarism and/or cheating will receive a 0 (zero) for the test or assignment, which will be averaged into the final grade according to the policies defined in the instructor’s syllabus.
  2. The faculty member is required to inform the Chief Academic Officer as well as his/her Department Chair/Program Director and Dean that a student has cheated or plagiarized. This notification will remain confidential in compliance with policies protecting student privacy.
  3. If a student disagrees with the instructor’s judgment that he/she has cheated or committed plagiarism, the student can consult first with the Department Chair/Program Director and then with the Dean in an effort to resolve the disagreement. If a resolution is not achieved at the college/school level, the student may appeal directly to the Academic Standards Board through the Chief Academic Officer (CAO).
  4. There will be no further action for the first violation of policies governing plagiarism and cheating unless the offense is deemed “flagrant” by the faculty member in consultation with the Department Chair/Program Director and Dean. For any subsequent offense, the student must appear before the Academic Standards Board where additional disciplinary action will be considered. For flagrant acts the faculty member is required to assign a grade of 0 for the work and to forward the case immediately to the Academic Standards Board for disciplinary action. The CAO will initiate the hearing process.

Academic Grievances

A student who wishes to appeal a grade received for a project, paper, course, etc. should first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor. If an agreement cannot be reached, the student should next appeal to the Department Chair/Program Director of the course and then to the Dean/Associate VPAA. Grievances should be brought to the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) only after these preliminary options have been exhausted. The student has only twelve months to appeal the grade in writing. This period begins at the conclusion of the term in which the grade was assigned. If a grievance hearing is required, the process will be initiated by the CAO.

The Student Grievance Committee and procedures outlined below have been established to provide a hearing for those students who feel their academic rights have been violated. The Student Grievance Committee consists of faculty members and students representing different Colleges/School, appointed by the President of the University. Its purpose is to adjudicate student academic grievances that have not been resolved at the program level.


  1. Students who believe that their academic rights have been violated and their complaints have not been resolved to their satisfaction at the program level (i.e., via instructor, Department Chair/Program Director of the course, and Dean/Associate VPAA) may petition the Student Grievance Committee to consider their complaint. Requests must be made in writing and must state both the grievance and the procedure the student has followed in trying to resolve the problem. The request must be made within twelve months following the semester in which the alleged violation of academic rights occurred. Requests must be addressed to the Student Grievance Committee and submitted to MUW’s Office of Academic Affairs.
  2. If the grievance involves any member of the Committee, that member will abstain from participation on the Committee while that particular grievance is being considered. The CAO will recommend a replacement.
  3. When a grievance is submitted, the Committee must convene within three regularly scheduled school days to determine what data and materials must be obtained from the student and/or the faculty member. Any requests for materials will be made in writing from the Committee.
  4. The Committee chair will set a hearing time that does not conflict with the class schedules of any Committee member, student, or faculty member involved. All persons will receive written notification of the meeting at least three days in advance.
  5. All evidentiary and background materials concerning a case should be submitted to the Committee at least three days prior to the hearing. This will allow the Committee adequate time to examine the facts thoroughly prior to adjudicating the matter.
  6. At the time of the hearing, both the student and the faculty member appearing before the Student Grievance Committee may have a representative or advisor of their choice present at the meeting. The advisors will be introduced to the Committee for the record and must identify their relationship to the student or faculty member. The student and faculty member may consult with their advisor(s) during the proceedings, but the advisor(s) may not address the Committee or question witnesses. Students and faculty members will be given full opportunity to present evidence and witnesses that are relevant to the issue at hand. Evidence introduced at the hearing must be confined to the particular ground or charge that has been made.
  7. The decision will be made by the Committee in closed session and will be based on sufficient and credible evidence. All persons involved in the grievance will be notified in writing of the resolution within one week of the hearing.
  8. Decisions reached by the Committee must be immediately enforced; however, both students and faculty have a right of appeal.
  9. The final level of appeal for both students and faculty members will be to the President of the University.

Privacy Rights of Parents and Students

Mississippi University for Women complies with all provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. The records covered by this law, the student’s rights and obligations, and the University’s rights and obligations are published in the Student Handbook.

The University will release directory information about individual students upon request unless the students have notified the Registrar that they do not wish to have any such information divulged. A written request must be filed within two weeks following registration, and the process must be repeated at the beginning of each semester. It should be noted that such a request will be followed to the letter, and any subsequent requests for information from non-university persons or organizations will be refused.

Directory information includes the student’s name, address, email, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities, dates of University enrollment, degrees received, honors and awards earned, most recent educational agency attended, and other similar information.


Official transcripts are issued by the Office of the Registrar and bear a raised seal and the Registrar’s signature.  There are three ways to order an official transcript from Mississippi University for Women.

  1. Ordering Transcripts Online: The National Student Clearinghouse (www.studentclearinhouse.org) has been authorized by Mississippi University for Women (MUW) to provide our transcript ordering service via the internet. Current and former students can order transcripts online using a major credit card at any time of the day or week. Your credit card will only be charged after your order has been completed by MUS’s Office of the Registrar. Please note that MUW only processes transcript orders Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CT on the days that the University is open. Online transcript requests submitted while we are closed for holidays will be processed in the order they were received when our office reopens. Transcripts are not released for students who have not settled all University accounts (financial or otherwise).
  2. Ordering Transcripts Directly from MUW via Mail : Current or former students may order copies of their academic coursework at MUW by sending a written, signed and dated request to the Office of the Registrar, 1100 College Street MUW-1605, Columbus, MS 39701-5800. A charge of $7.00 payable in advance will be made for each copy. Transcripts are not released for student who have not settled al University accounts. Transcript request forms are available online at (http://www.muw.edu/registrar/MUW_Transcript_Request_Form.pdf).
  3. Walk In Requests: Current or former students may request a transcript at the service counter of the Office of the Registrar located in Welty Hall, Room 105. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT, on the days that the University is open. Transcript requests are taken until 4:45 p.m. CT. If you are coming in person, you must have a picture ID. If a third party will be picking up your transcript, that person must have your written permission to release the transcript. Payment must be made upon receipt of the transcript. Please limit to no more than five (5) copies.

Transcripts forwarded in support of transfer student admission will not be released by MUW, but they can be reviewed in the Registrar’s Office. Such documents can be obtained from the institution originally issuing the record.

Registration Policies

Academic Advising

New students are assigned a faculty or academic staff advisor who will counsel them regarding their academic progress. The appropriate academic Department will assign students a faculty or staff advisor specific to their major. Undeclared students will be advised by faculty or staff members from the Advising Center, which is located in Reneau Hall and is open daily for questions regarding academic schedules, programs, and requirements.

Before each registration, students must consult with their advisors. All MUW students should see their advisor not only for program planning prior to each registration, but also for guidance and evaluation throughout the school year. An advising period is published during the fall and spring semesters. See the academic calendar for specific dates.

In all academic programs at MUW, some courses are required while others are elective. It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that all required courses of the chosen curriculum are completed. Faculty advisors are available to assist students in planning their academic work. Not all courses are offered every semester; some are only offered in alternating semesters or alternating years. The University is not responsible for scheduling problems that result from the student’s failure to take these intermittent courses when they are available, nor is the institution responsible for those students in an accelerated program who cannot be accommodated by the regular course rotation or students who are off sequence due to failing courses.

Students who have questions regarding their major fields of interest or who want help with decisions are invited to consult their advisors, Advising Center staff, Department Chairs/Program Directors, or Deans at any time during the school year.

Scheduling and Registration Procedure

Returning students, transfer students, and new students will schedule classes during the time allotted their classification. Students are required to meet with their advisors to prepare a tentative schedule in advance of registration, to receive their Registration Access Pin (RAP), and to obtain approval for any alterations in their previously confirmed schedule. Students are responsible for entering their approved courses in the Banner system. The student confirms his or her registration by paying fees to the Comptroller. All fees and expenses are due at registration. Students who have registered for classes but decide not to attend the University must drop all of their classes by registration day of that term. Students will be held responsible for payment of tuition and fees and will receive failing grades if they neglect to drop classes by the designated date.

Students should enroll in fifteen to sixteen semester hours of course work each fall and spring semester if they plan to complete their program of study within four years. A special recommendation from the Department Chair/Program Director must be obtained before a full-time student will be allowed to enroll in more than 19 hours in a single semester. Students will not earn credit for courses for which they are not properly registered.

Cross Registration

Full-time students may cross register with Mississippi State University (MSU) during the fall or spring semesters if they need a course not offered on their home campus. Students interested in cross registration should contact the Registrar on their home campus for more information. Courses taken at MSU may not be used to meet the minimum number of enrollment hours required for MUW residency nor scholarship eligibility.

Change of Registration

Courses may be added or dropped without penalty during the first few days of a term. Students should check the academic calendar, student handbook, and/or student activities calendar for all important dates concerning dropping a course, adding a course, or changing their grade status in a course.


With permission of the Department Chair/Program Director of the student’s major, MUW students may enroll in courses as auditors who do not attempt examinations and do not submit written assignments. The fee charged for auditing is the same as if the student were taking the course for credit. Auditors must attend at least 70% of classes or they will be assigned a grade of NA (Non-Attendance). Note: Audit classes carry no credit, do not count toward graduation, and are excluded in the certification of total credit hours for scholarships, VA, loans, insurance, etc.

Withdrawal from MUW

Students who wish to withdraw from the University must do so through the College or School of their major or through the Advising Center if they are undeclared. The last day to withdraw from the University is listed on the academic calendar and once the request is processed, it is an irreversible action. Leaving the University without filing a formal withdrawal notice will result in failing grades in all courses for which the student is registered. Withdrawing from a residence hall is not the same as withdrawing from university course work.

Academic Fresh Start

Students who have not been enrolled in any post-secondary institution for at least 48 consecutive months may request admission or readmission to Mississippi University for Women through the Office of Academic Affairs under the Academic Fresh Start Policy. The application for Academic Fresh Start must be accompanied by transcripts from all post-secondary institutions previously attended. Students can obtain an application for Academic Fresh Start from the Office of the Registrar. If the request is granted, the student’s prior grades (MUW and transfer) will remain on their transcript, but they will not be used to calculate the grade point average, and these prior credits cannot be applied toward any MUW degree. Professional schools may consider the prior grades in determining eligibility for admission and scholarships, and prior grades will be used in the calculation of SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) for Federal Financial Aid.

The Academic Fresh Start action is irreversible; the student’s new status cannot be changed. The student’s catalog of record will be the one in effect at the time of entry under the Academic Fresh Start Policy or any subsequent catalog in effect during the period of attendance at MUW. A student may enter MUW under the Academic Fresh Start Policy only one time. Students who are currently enrolled may not request a retroactive admission under the Academic Fresh Start Policy.

Note: Under Veterans’ Administration rules and regulations, students receiving VA educational benefits will not be eligible for Academic Fresh Start.

Academic Second Chance

Students may apply for Academic Second Chance twice during their academic career. Each application appies to only one semester (summer semester includes all three summer sessions), and each application must meet the following conditions:

  1. If the student has earned a degree, the semester considered for Academic Second Chance must have been completed after the degree was earned;
  2. The semester considered for Academic Second Chance must have been completed at least one year before application;
  3. The student must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA for at least 24 consecutive semester hours at MUW immediately before application. If a student has previously applied for Academic Second Chance, the student may not count any of the 24 hours used in the first application towards the second application. In other words, each application stands on its own, and the student must meet the requirements of each application separately.

Application for Academic Second Chance must be filed with the Office of the Registrar, after grades are posted at the end of a semester, and the opportunity to submit a request will expire five working days prior to the published registration date for the semester in which the student intends to enroll. A student may obtain an application for Academic Second Chance from the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar will verify that the above conditions have been met and will forward the request to the student’s academic advisor. The student must obtain the approval of his/her advisor, the appropriate Department Chair/Program Director and Dean. The appropriate offices and individuals will review and process the application as quickly as possible, but students should allow at least one week for review and processing of an application before any action will be reflected on the Student’s academic record.

If an application is approved, all courses and grades for the semester will remain on the student’s transcript; however, the courses for that one semester will not be included in the student’s grade point average and may never be used toward graduation at Mississippi University for Women. Nevertheless, the grades may be used by professional programs to determine admission. In addition, the student must repeat any required courses taken during the nullified semester. Once the Academic Second Chance is entered on the student’s transcript, the action is irreversible.

Academic Second Chance applies to courses taken at MUW or transferring institutions. In addition, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure that he/she meets scholarship and/or financial aid guidelines.

Note: Under Veterans’ Administration rules and regulations, students will not be eligible for Academic Second Chance for any semester in which they received VA benefits.

Late Administrative Withdrawal

The University acknowledges that there may be rare special circumstances in which a late withdrawal is appropriate, i.e. withdrawal from MUW after the published deadline for withdrawal from the University. Student may apply for a Late Administrative Withdrawal for only one term during their academic career. The University will only accept applications for late withdrawals from students who are unable to complete the term because of circumstances beyond their control. The following are acceptable circumstances for which a student may appeal for a Late Administrative Withdrawal:

  1. Medical (documentation must be provided);
  2. Relocation (documentation must be provided indicating that the relocation was required by an employer).

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for Late Administrative Withdrawal. Due dates for applications are as follows:  (a) within the first four weeks of the next term of enrollment at MUW, provided this is not longer than twelve months after the term in question; and (b) within twelve months of the term in question if the student is not enrolled at all at MUW during this time period. The appropriate offices and individuals  will review and process the application as quickly as possible, but students should allow at least one week for review and processing of an application before any action will be reflected on the student’s academic record. All applications for Late Administrative Withdrawal must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs and must include the following:

  1. A letter from the student containing a detailed explanation of the circumstances necessitating a late withdrawal as well as relevant and compelling documentation to support the request;
  2. The student’s last date of attendance, documented by the instructor for each course from which the student seeks to withdraw;
  3. The approval of the student’s academic advisor, Department Chair/Program Director, Dean, and Chief Academic Officer.

The Chief Academic Officer will decide whether the documentation provided is appropriate and sufficient and may request additional information from the student. The CAO adjudicates all requests for Late Administrative Withdrawal. The decision of the CAO is final.

If the application is approved, all courses and the grades for the semester will remain on the student’s transcript; however, the courses for that one term will not impact the student’s grade point average and can never be used toward graduation at Mississippi University for Women. Nevertheless, these grades may be used to determine admission into graduate and professional programs. In addition, the student must repeat any required courses from the term.

Late Administrative Withdrawal applies only to courses taken at MUW. In addition, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure that he/she meets scholarship and/or financial aid enrollment requirements.

Note:  Under Veterans’ Administration rules and regulations, students will not be eligible for Late Administrative Withdrawal for any term in which they received VA benefits.

Course Administration

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes, laboratory periods, and other meetings that constitute a regular part of their University program. Parents cannot excuse students from their obligation to attend University classes. Excessive absences from classes can lead to dismissal from the University and loss of course credit. The student must consult the instructor concerning required makeup work and will be held responsible for all work missed. Any college/school within the University may formulate a policy governing class attendance. An instructor may establish his/her own more rigorous policy, subject to the approval of the Department Chair/Program Director. In no instance may a student who misses 50% or more of the class meetings receive course credit. Alternative attendance policies established by departments and/or individual instructors will be communicated to students in the course syllabi that are made available in the first week of the semester.

Attendance Policy for Financial Aid

Students who receive Financial Aid awards can only receive funds for attendance in the semester’s courses. The MUW Attendance Policy for Financial Aid addresses two issues—1. students who never attended class and 2. students who stop attending classes but have not officially dropped the course nor have withdrawn from the University.

Students who have never attended classes– The amount of aid disbursed usually depends on the number of credit hours scheduled for the semester. The university must, however, determine that the student has attended at least one class meeting in each course to validate the disbursement of aid funds for each course in the schedule. Faculty members are requested to carefully monitor attendance during the first three weeks of classes and report those who have never attended their class or never signed in for an online course.

A student who has not attended any class meetings for a course will have a pro rata reduction of his/her award and funds will be returned to the programs/lender that provided the award. Unfortunately, MUW has already collected tuition and fees from these aid funds and the student will now have an unpaid tuition and fee balance. Thus, the attendance monitoring process has an impact on both the student’s account and MUW’s budget. Faculty must report no shows immediately after the close of the last day to add/register for classes.

Students who stop attending classes but have not officially dropped the course nor have withdrawn from the University – The amount of aid that is disbursed to a student is intended for attendance throughout the semester. If a student officially withdraws from all courses, a refund calculation is performed using the actual date of withdrawal to determine the amount of funds earned by the time of attendance and the amount of unearned funds to be returned to the programs that provided the aid.

For those students who do not officially withdraw but stop attending and earn all F and/or WF grades for the semester, the last date of attendance (LDA) will determine the time attended and the amounts of aid earned and unearned. The longer a student attends the more aid a student earns. Generally, if a student attends for at least 60% of the semester, the full aid award is considered earned.

For students who stop attending class at some point during the semester, faculty members are requested to indicate the last date of attendance or participation in a class event or activity at the time they report the F as the final grade. If attendance dates cannot be determined, the mid-term date will be used for the calculation and only 50% of the aid can be earned. Again, the accuracy of reporting can have an impact on the student’s account and on MUW’s budget.

Student Appeal Process – If a student disagrees with the no show or last date of attendance reported by the faculty, the student must submit an appeal in writing to his/her Dean. The Dean will review the appeal with the faculty member and department chair. The Dean/Institute Director will then send a recommendation to the Provost. The Provost will contact the Registrar and the Director of Financial Aid concerning the outcome of the appeal. The final level of appeal will be to the President of the University.

Grading Policy

The following designations are used in student grade reporting:

Grade   Grade Points Per Credit Hour
A+, A, A- Excellent 4
B+, B, B- Above Average Competency 3
C+, C, C- Average Competency 2
D+, D, D- Below Average Competency 1
F Failure 0
I Incomplete 0
AU Audit -
NA Non-Attendance -
NC No Credit -
P Pass -
W Withdrew from Class -
WP Withdrew Passing -
WF Withdrew Failing 0

Each semester’s record stands alone. Grades from one semester (passing or failing) cannot be improved with work from another semester.

A grade average of C earns the minimum grade points required for graduation.

Repeated Courses

No credit is given for any course with a grade of F until the course is repeated and the student receives a passing grade. A student who receives an F in his/her required curriculum must repeat the course.

Repeating a course in an attempt to improve a grade is permissible. Students may not repeat a course for which they received an A (including transfer courses). The second grade will stand as the official grade, and both grades will be calculated into the student’s grade point average. However, credit hours for the course will be counted only once in the total number of hours earned. This policy does not apply to courses designated as repeatable in the bulletin (see individual course descriptions). Students may audit a course in which they previously received the grade of A.

Incomplete Grade

A grade of I or Incomplete, indicates that the student—for reasons satisfactory to the instructor as well as the Department Chair/Program Director and the Dean—has been unable to complete the requirements of the course by the end of the semester.

Until an I has been removed, it is evaluated as an F in computing the student’s grade point average. Students who receive an I in a course and subsequently complete the required work within the prescribed time will receive the grade assigned by the instructor.

For undergraduate courses, the incomplete work must be finished and submitted by the date indicated on the Request for an Incomplete form. This deadline can be at most the last class day of the next regular semester (excluding summer) but may be shorter than that, as specified by the instructor. The instructor then must grade the work and submit proper change of grade paperwork to the Office of the Registrar within one week of the specified deadline for completion of student work. Extensions to the established deadline are not permitted. If the work is not completed by the specified deadline, then the I converts to an F and cannot be changed.

For graduate courses, the work must be completed by the end of the following term (including summer). If the work is not completed by this deadline, then the grade of I converts to an F and cannot be changed. Thesis research is the only exception to the incomplete policy.

Withdrawal Grade

A grade of W, indicating that the student has withdrawn from the course, will not be calculated into the grade point average, provided the course is dropped by the date indicated in the academic calendar. After that designated date, students withdrawing will receive either a WP or WF, depending on their performance in the course up to that time. A date is established in the academic calendar beyond which a student may not withdraw from a course without special permission from the Department Chair/Program Director, Dean, and the Chief Academic Officer.

Pass/Fail Grading

With permission of the Department Chair/Program Director, juniors or seniors who have at least a 2.0 grade point average may elect to enroll in courses on a pass/fail basis. A passing grade is recorded as P and carries credit toward graduation. This mark, however, is not used in computing the grade point average. A failing grade is recorded as F and is computed in the grade point average. Students may not choose pass-fail grading for any course in their major or minor program, in any course used to meet a specific University requirement (such as core curriculum classes), in any course required for teacher certification, or in any course requiring a grade of C or higher. A student may not request pass-fail grading in any course for which he/she has previously received a grade, including a grade of I.

No Credit Grade

Some courses (such as English Composition) adopt a grading scale of A, B, C, No Credit. These courses require that the student earn at least a C before he/she is awarded credit. Those who do not meet this basic requirement receive an NC, which earns no credit toward graduation and is not calculated into the grade point average. Use of the NC grading scale will be noted in the course description. It is important to remember that some post-baccalaureate professional programs calculate the NC as an F when making decisions regarding admissions.

Non-Attendance Grade

Auditors who do not attend at least 70% of the class meetings will receive a grade of NA or Non-Attendance. This mark is recorded on the student’s transcript, but is not computed in the grade point average.

Summer Developmental Program and Year-Long Academic Support

The summer developmental program is an option for students who do not meet admission criteria of the University for fall term enrollment but wish to demonstrate basic academic competencies requisite to entry in the fall term. The program consists of developmental courses in reading, English, and mathematics, as well as a learning skills lab, totaling twelve (12) credit hours for the nine week term. Students must enroll for the entire 12-hour program. The credits earned in the summer developmental program do not count toward graduation. Students successfully completing the program and entering in the fall term will be required to complete a year-long academic support program. Consult the Office of Admissions, the Office of Academic Support Services, or the Office of Academic Affairs about program dates and other requirements.

Intermediate Courses

ED 100 Reading for College, EN 100 Basic Writing, and MA 100 Intermediate Algebra are considered intermediate-level courses. All entering freshmen for Fall 2009 enrolled with an ACT Mathematics subtest score of 16 or below will be required to take MA 100 during their first semester of enrollment; all entering freshmen enrolled with an ACT English subtest score of 16 or below will be required to take EN 100 during their first semester of enrollment; all entering freshmen enrolled with an ACT Reading subtest score of 16 or below will be required to take ED 100 during their first semester of enrollment. Note:  Effective January 2010, entering freshmen enrolled with an ACT Mathematics subtest score of 18 or below will be required to take MA 100 during their first semester of enrollment and all entering freshmen with an ACT Reading subtest score of 18 or below will be required to take ED 100 during their first semester of enrollment. If multiple ACT scores are submitted by the student to the University, the submission with the highest composite score will be used to determine intermediate course requirements. If multiple scores with the same composite are submitted, the most recent scores will be used to determine intermediate course requirements. Students enrolled in intermediate courses (ED 100, EN 100, or MA 100) are required to continue enrolling in the intermediate course until a grade of C or higher is earned.

In addition, students who are required to enroll in two or more intermediate courses, including those enrolled in the Summer Developmental Program, are also required to enroll in LS 101 and LS 102, the year-long Academic Support Program. Students will remain as undeclared majors until the end of the year-long program. Students will be advised during their freshman year by the Director of Academic Support Services and may not be enrolled in more than 15 semester hours. Students must continue to enroll in the required intermediate courses(s) until a passing grade is earned.

While each intermediate course carries 3 hours of enrollment credit for that term, no academic credit is earned toward graduation. These courses cannot be used to satisfy any graduation requirements, including total hours required for the degree.

Academic Standing


Freshman: a student who has been admitted but has completed fewer than 30 semester hours of academic work.
Sophomore: a student who has completed as many as 30 but fewer than 60 semester hours.
Junior: a student who has completed as many as 60 but fewer than 90 semester hours
Senior: a student who has completed 90 or more semester hours.

NOTE: Classification as a senior gives no assurance of graduation at a particular time.

Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes

MUW values the assessment of student learning. To assess student learning, MUW administers national tests and develops local evaluations. Students eligible to take national tests will be notified. In addition, learning assessments administered as part of a course may be retained by the University for use in program and/or University assessment of effectiveness.

Academic Honors

Recognition for outstanding academic achievement is granted to full-time students in the fall and spring terms. The levels of recognition include the following:

President’s List:

To be eligible for the President’s List, one must be a full-time undergraduate student with a spring or fall semester GPA of 4.0.

Dean’s List:

To be eligible for the Dean’s List, one must be full-time undergraduate student with a spring or fall semester GPA between 3.5 and 3.99.

Probation and Suspension

All students, whether full-time or part-time, are expected to maintain a quality of work necessary for reasonable progress toward graduation. In order to graduate, a student must earn a total number of grade points that is at least twice as great as the total number of academic credit hours attempted. Falling beneath this criterion indicates substandard progress toward a degree.


Students whose cumulative MUW GPA falls below 1.90 will be placed on academic probation. Students admitted with a GPA less than 2.0 as evaluated by academic policies will be placed on academic probation upon admission.


Students with a semester GPA of less than 2.0 who were admitted on academic probation or have already served one probationary period will be expected to maintain the academic standards listed in the chart below. Failure to meet this expectation will result in academic suspension.

Cumulative GPA Hours (Including Transfer Work) GPA  MUW Cumulative GPA
0 - 29.99 1.00
30 - 59.99 1.30
60- 89.99 1.70
90 & above 1.90

No student will be suspended for failing to achieve the required grade point average without having first served at least one semester of probation at MUW. Students who have served a semester of probation at MUW at any time in the past will be suspended immediately if the above requirements are not met.

The first academic suspension is for one regular (fall or spring) semester. Readmission to MUW will be automatic at the completion of the first suspension period. However, the student will be placed on academic probation when readmitted to the institution. Students readmitted after their first academic suspension must maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher. Those who fail to live up to this minimal standard will be suspended from the University for one calendar year. Readmission to the University after this second suspension period requires the approval of the Scholastic Appeals Committee. If the student is readmitted to the University, he/she will be required once again to maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher in the first semester of his/her return. Failure to maintain this minimal standard will result in a third suspension, this time for three calendar years. The readmission protocol and requirements following the third suspension are the same as those following the second with the returning student again expected to obtain the permission of the Scholastic Appeals Committee and to earn a 2.0 GPA in their first semester back. The fourth suspension is for five calendar years.

Any academic credit earned elsewhere during the suspension period will not count toward degree requirements. However, a student readmitted to MUW after a period of suspension may request a review of coursework which was earned after the suspension period expires.  Coursework earned after the suspension period expires may be transferred back to MUW as long as the coursework meets MUW’s standards and policies for transfer work, including a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA on all course work attempted with the exception of courses not acceptable for transfer.

Under unusual or extenuating circumstances, however, a student who has been suspended for academic reasons may request a review of the case. The student’s appeal will consist of a letter (in her/his own words) addressed to the Scholastic Appeals Committee in care of the Office of Academic Affairs. It should contain salient information detailing the mitigating circumstances that resulted in the student’s weak academic performance. In addition, letters of support from third parties may be included in the appeal. Appeals must be received in the Office of Academic Affairs no later than noon one day prior to the official registration date for the term in which the student wishes to enroll. If the Scholastic Appeals Committee votes to readmit, the student will be expected to maintain the minimal GPA of 2.0, or he/she will be subject to a second (or third as the case may be) suspension. If the Scholastic Appeals Committee votes not to readmit, no further appeals on behalf of the student will be accepted until the end of the suspension period, regardless of length.

Mississippi University for Women makes every effort to inform in a timely manner any student who has been suspended for academic reasons. This is achieved in the following manner: a notice will be posted on the student’s transcript on Banner Web and a letter will be mailed to the student’s permanent address (as indicated in official University records), providing reasons for the suspension and informing the student of the date on which he/she may reenroll at Mississippi University for Women.

It is the responsibility of the student to supply Mississippi University for Women with a permanent mailing address and telephone number that are accurate and up-to-date. Mississippi University for Women cannot be held responsible for any failure to notify a student regarding suspension if the student has not supplied the University accurate and complete mailing addresses and telephone number.

Students may be suspended for academic deficiency, academic dishonesty, or misconduct. However, only suspensions for academic deficiency and academic dishonesty are recorded on a student’s academic record. Only suspensions for academic deficiency are subject to the GPA and other requirements above. All students are expected to familiarize themselves with the rules regulating conduct, which are printed in the Student Handbook and online. University authorities must consider the safety of all students and faculty when adjudicating disciplinary issues.

Veterans’ Academic Status

Veterans and other VA eligible students will be limited to two semesters of probation, after which they will not be certified to the VA.

Transfer Credit

A student may obtain advanced standing through the transfer of credits from other academic institutions, through the acquisition of military experience, and through the successful completion of standardized and institutional examinations. MUW does not award credit for experiential learning. However, professional credit may be awarded according to standards set by the American Council of Education and the New York Board of Regents.

General Guidelines

All academic credit is evaluated by the Office of the Registrar, employing the current standards and policies of Mississippi University for Women. Academic credit can only be transferred from another institution of higher learning, which, at the time of the student’s coursework, was fully licensed by a regional accrediting association. MUW uses recognized sources which aid in the evaluation of credit. These guides are published by the American Council on Education and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. If the transfer institution uses a 4.0 or modified 4.0 grading scale, then academic credit is transferred, and grades assigned accordingly. Other grading systems are converted to the 4.0 scale. Transferable community college coursework is accepted at the freshman and sophomore level but may not be used to satisfy junior and senior level requirements. Community college transfer students must earn at least 50% of their academic credit from a senior institution, including at least 25% of those hours from MUW in order to be eligible for any baccalaureate degree. Pending program approval, credit for technical courses can be transferred only for the Bachelor of Technology Degree for students who have earned an Associate of Applied Science degree. Such technical courses cannot be used toward any other degree offered at Mississippi University for Women.

MUW Students Attending Other Institutions

Students may take classes at another accredited college or university while simultaneously enrolled at MUW, and the academic credits earned can be transferred. However, only those credits that conform to MUW’s standards and requirements will be accepted. Official transcripts for such course work must be filed with MUW’s Registrar at the completion of the term of enrollment. Students are responsible for requesting these transcripts and for paying all related charges.

Students planning to take courses at other institutions should secure in advance the approval of the Department Chair/Program Director and Dean of the appropriate College/School.

Credit for Military Experience

Credit for military experience may be awarded in accordance with guidelines published by the American Council on Education. Students need to submit copies of their military transcripts or Form DD214 to the Office of the Registrar. A student may earn a maximum of 27 hours for military experience.

Credit by Examination

An undergraduate student may earn as many as sixty semester hours of credit toward graduation through examination. Further information concerning credit by examination can be obtained by writing the Chair/Program Director of the academic department in which the student wishes to be tested.

The total number of hours earned through combined credit by CLEP, Advanced Placement, and community/junior college credit cannot exceed 50% of the semester hours required for a specific degree at MUW.

Advanced Placement Program

Mississippi University for Women will grant credit to students for a score of 3 or higher on the College Entrance Examination Board’s (CEEB) Advanced Placement Program offered through their high schools. Credit is not recorded until the student has registered for classes at MUW. A $25.00 fee per course will be posted to the student’s account before AP credit is posted to the student’s transcript. Any acceptable AP score may be used as an elective credit, but only specific exams can fulfill MUW program requirements.

CLEP Examinations

Credit is awarded for an acceptable performance on certain general and subject examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) in compliance with MUW standards. Students must have scores sent to Office of Academic Affairs by the CLEP Testing Center. Any acceptable CLEP score may be used as an elective credit, but only specific exams can fulfill MUW program requirements. A list of acceptable CLEP exams may be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs. Credit is not recorded until the student has registered for classes at MUW. A $25.00 fee per course will be posted to the student’s account before CLEP credit will be recorded on the student’s transcript.

By-Pass Examinations

By-pass examinations are allowable, upon approval by the Department Chair/Program Director. Arrangements for the examination will be made by the Department Chair/Program Director in consultation with the student’s advisor and the Registrar. A grade of P is entered in the student’s transcript when examination credit is awarded; however, no such credit is recorded until the student has successfully completed at least three semester hours at MUW. In order to receive by-pass credit, the student must earn a C or better on the examination. Also the student must have completed or received credit for all courses prerequisite to that being by-passed, and the student will be expected to furnish evidence of laboratory or field experience in order to by-pass a course in which the same are required. A course may not be by-passed after credit has been earned by CLEP exam or any form of advanced placement test in the respective subject area. The student may not take a by-pass examination for a course in which he/she is currently enrolled.

A student who wishes to take a by-pass examination must submit a completed application to the appropriate Department Chair/Program Director. A $125.00 fee will be posted to the student’s account upon submission of the by-pass exam application.

Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees

Curriculum and Achievement Requirements

Academic Program Requirements

To earn an MUW degree, a student must successfully complete all of the core requirements as well as those of the selected major.

Credit Hours

All Mississippi University for Women baccalaureate degrees require the student to earn no fewer than 124 credit hours, with 62 credit hours sufficient for the associate degree. For specific curriculum requirements, see the section labeled “Academic Program Requirements” in this catalog. In addition, the academic standards of the University must be maintained. Completion of the appropriate number of credit hours gives no assurance of graduation at a particular time; all specific program and administrative requirements must have been met.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Any student who receives an undergraduate degree or certificate from Mississippi University for Women must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA, a minimum 2.0 on all coursework at Mississippi University for Women and a minimum 2.0 on all courses attempted in the major. (See the appropriate Department section of this catalog for grade point average specifications in particular majors.)

Transfer Credit Policy

Students transferring to Mississippi University for Women from another accredited college will receive all grade points to which their transfer grades entitle them according to MUW’s transfer evaluation policy. No more than 62 semester hours of community college coursework may be applied to any baccalaureate degree. To qualify for any baccalaureate degree at MUW, community/junior college transfer students must earn at a senior institution at least 50% of the semester hours required for a specific degree program, including 25% of the semester hours at MUW. Transfer students must earn at MUW at least 50% of the required credit hours in their major and minor if applicable.

Catalog of Record

Students may select only one catalog from which they follow graduation requirements. All the requirements from that one catalog must be completed. Students who first enter a community/junior college and transfer to MUW without an intervening period may graduate under the terms of the MUW catalog in effect during the semester they entered community college.

Students have nine years to complete the requirements of their chosen catalog. After a lapse of nine years, the student will be expected to meet the requirements of the newest catalog, the one in effect when the completion period expires.

Residence Requirements

First Baccalaureate Degree

To qualify for an undergraduate degree, all students must earn, through coursework at MUW, at least 25% of the semester hours required for a specific degree program. Twenty-four hours of credit must be taken at MUW in the senior year unless the student has already completed 60 hours in residence, in which case the student need earn only 15 hours in residence during the senior year. Credit by examination credits may not be applied to the residency requirement.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

In order to qualify for a second baccalaureate degree from MUW, the student must meet all academic requirements for the second degree program and earn at least 25% of the required program hours in residence. Students entering MUW in pursuit of a second undergraduate degree must meet the post-baccalaureate core requirements listed in the Academic Program Requirements section of this Bulletin. Students cannot earn a post baccalaureate minor without also completing requirements for a second baccalaureate degree.

Financial/Administrative Requirements

The student is expected to satisfy all financial and administrative responsibilities prior to conferral of the degree. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the settling of all University accounts, the payment of fines, and the return of books to the library. The University reserves the right to withhold diplomas or transcripts for students who do not satisfy their obligations to the University.

Application for Degree

A student must complete an application for a degree and pay the degree audit fee by the deadline listed on the Academic Calendar. Applications are available in the Registrar’s Office. Once an application is filed with the Office of the Registrar, a formal degree audit will be prepared and mailed to the student and the student’s advisor. Degrees are conferred in December, May, or August upon successful completion of all requirements. Should a student not complete graduation by the date indicated, another application must be filed and another degree audit fee paid. See the Academic Calendar for deadlines.

Degree with Honors

Students who establish throughout their academic careers both an overall (includes MUW and any out-of-residence work) and an MUW grade point average between 3.50 and 3.79 graduate cum laude; those who establish a grade point average between 3.80 and 3.94 graduate magna cum laude; and those with a grade point average between 3.95 and 4.0 graduate summa cum laude. Only students earning their first baccalaureate degree are eligible for these honors.

In addition to the Latin honors listed above, the University awards Departmental honors to students who have been enrolled in the Honors College and have maintained the grade point averages required in their major fields and for the Honors College. They must also complete the Honors curriculum.

Veterans Affairs School Standards of Progress

Minimum Requirements Established by the State Approving Agency for Students Receiving Educational Benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs

Examination of Records

The Office of the Registrar will maintain a list of all persons enrolled at the University who have applied for VA Benefits. University standards relating to academic and attendance records will be on file in the Registrar’s Office, and financial records can be found in the Comptroller’s Office.

Entrance Requirements

Proof that entrance requirements have been met is maintained in the Admissions Office. See the section of this catalog pertaining to admission requirements.

Previous Education and Training Records

The date of high school graduation, in the case of freshmen, and the evaluation of all previous college work, in the case of transfer students, are part of the permanent record. The amount of credit for previous education and training is entered on all enrollment certificates submitted to VA. Students will not be certified for more than two semesters without filing all transcripts of previous work.

Attendance Records

A determination of a student’s last class attendance is based upon the student’s completion and submission of a drop or withdrawal slip. Faculty will report any student who has ceased attending a course.

Reports to the Veterans Administration

Any change in status of a student from the last certification will be reported to the VA.

Responsibilities of Students Receiving VA Benefits

The student must follow the curriculum for his/her selected major which is outlined in the MUW Bulletin. Any student desiring continuous enrollment should notify the VA certification official in the Registrar’s Office two months prior to the date of registration.