Jun 22, 2024  
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin 
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

6. Student Affairs and Services

6.1 Purpose Statement

As an integral part of the University’s educational process, the Division of Student Affairs is committed to the belief that education extends outside the formal classroom setting. The Division implements programs and services designed to complement classroom experience, preparing students to be educated and productive members of society. Student Affairs seeks to do this by offering opportunities for social, intellectual, physical, spiritual, and emotional growth, by encouraging students to become actively involved in campus life, by serving as an advocate for student concerns to the University community, and by creating an environment responsive to individual differences and representative of the University’s diverse population. Through these services and programs, students will develop a mature sense of value and responsibility, as well as intellectual competence.

6.2 Housing & Residence Life

MUW provides six residence hall options for male and female students who carry a minimum of six hours of academic credits per semester. Contracts are available for the summer, accelerated terms, and the full academic year. Contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life for more information at (662) 329-7127 or Cochran Hall, 2nd Floor.

Living in the residence halls provides countless opportunities for involvement. RAs plan initiatives for each floor and building, provide opportunities for leadership development, social activities and educational activities. Student involvement is limited only by their desire and initiative. The residence halls provide a great environment to make the most of the student MUW experience.

The staff of each building sponsors a variety of community development, cultural, educational, recreational, and community service initiatives. Many times the (Resident Advisors) RAs will host events. RAs should solicit ideas from residents but residents should feel free to share their ideas for events/programs openly as well. Students are encouraged to become involved in the many activities that occur in your building. Not only will students learn some new and valuable information, students will also meet many interesting people who may become their closest friends.

General Information

When a student is admitted to the University, he/she does not receive a room automatically. Rooms may be reserved only by filing out the housing application with the Department of Housing and Residence Life. Moreover, those who elect to live in residence halls are required to participate in a meal plan. Charges for living expenses can be found in the Tuition and Expenses section of this Bulletin.

The Office of Housing and Residence Life is overseen by the Director who has several support staff in place to assist with the daily operations. Staff includes one Assistant Director, three Residence Hall Directors, administrative assistant, two counselors, and numerous student staff.

The Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life oversees the daily housing operation. The Residence Hall Directors work with the Assistant Director in the management of each residence hall and its student staff. Student staff is comprised of Resident Advisors (RAs). Resident Advisors are assigned to various areas where they live on the floors with the residents of that area and serve as peer educators/peer counselors in helping residents connect to the campus.

There are two areas on campus-North Campus which includes Callaway, Grossnickle, Hastings-Simmons and Columbus Halls. Kincannon Hall and Jones Hall make up South campus. Each residence hall has a desk operation that runs from 1:00pm-1:00am (Sunday through Saturday) that serves as the main point of contact for housing questions after normal university business hours.

North Campus is overseen by a professional Residence Hall Director housed in Columbus Hall. Callaway is home to social clubs and upper-class female students; Hastings-Simmons is home to upper-class female students; Grossnickle is home to freshmen and sophomores in the Residential Honors Program; and Columbus is home to upper-class male students.

Jones and Kincannon are both overseen by professional Residence Hall Directors. Jones is home to upper-class female students while Kincannon is home to the freshmen and freshman students.

Application for Housing

To apply for campus housing, students must complete the housing application online. Signed applications indicate the student’s acceptance of the terms and conditions outlined on the application. There is a $50 non-refundable processing fee that will be directly applied to the student’s Banner Web account once the semester begins. If a student chooses to cancel their housing application, there will not be a penalty prior to June 1st. Cancellation after June 1st and prior to the official opening of residence halls in August will result in a $150 cancellation fee. Failure to cancel the Housing Contract prior to the official opening day of residence halls in August will result in full room charges and meal plan charges being assessed to the student’s account. Please be aware that the agreement is for the full academic year, including both fall and spring semesters.

Residents who depart mid-semester or mid-year due to exclusion, transferring, or withdrawal must submit a cancellation form to the Department of Housing and Residence Life to be considered for a pro-rated refund of. All refunds are contingent upon the following: all provisions of the Housing Contract, prior settlement for all assessments of damage charges and fines, and proper and timely written notice of reservation or assignment cancellation to the Department of Housing and Residence Life. Any student found to be enrolled at the University during an academic term after having withdrawn or canceling their Housing Contract, will be charged the full room charges (and meal plan charges) of that Housing Contract term.

Guest Housing

When space permits, overnight guest accommodations are available for a nominal fee. Reservations must be made within the Office of Housing and Residence Life, 24 hours prior to the overnight stay. Contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life for more information at (662) 329-7127 or Cochran Hall, 2nd Floor.

6.3 Rights and Responsibilities of Residential Students

Primary Rights of Students

  1. The right to read and study free from undue interference in one’s room. One basic purpose of the University is the dissemination and application of knowledge. Unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right.
  2. The right to sleep, the right to one’s personal belongings, the right to free access to one’s room and suite facilities during the period that the residence halls are open, and the right to a clean environment in which to live.
  3. The right to redress of grievance. If the academic and residential communities are to function in the most educationally profitable manner, the right to initiate actions and referrals for impartial and fair adjudication of grievances is paramount. In exercising this right the student further holds the right to be free from fear or intimidation, physical and emotional harm and to be without imposition of sanctions apart from due process.

Subordinate Rights of Students

  1. The right to personal privacy: all persons should have freedom from the interference with their personal activities within the parameters of university policies and the Student Code of Conduct and should be able to maintain privacy for other than academic reasons.
  2. The right to host guests: All students should have an opportunity to maintain personal contacts and friendships with other persons to fulfill their needs for socialization (in accordance with residence life guidelines).

See also 2.2 Student Rights and Responsibilities .

6.4 Student Services

Campus Health Services

Ambulatory care and health education are goals of the Campus Health Center. All students are eligible to use the Health Center. No fee is charged for routine visits though there is a nominal charge for medications, supplies and complete physical exams. The Health Center is administered by the Dean of the College of Nursing and Speech Language Pathology, and it is staffed by nurse practitioners, registered nurses with Master’s degrees, who, in their expanded role, are licensed to diagnose and treat many common conditions. The protocols for treatment are developed in conjunction with the Mississippi Board of Nursing and a collaborating physician, who is available at all times for consultation and/or referral.

The Health Center is open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday during the academic year. The Center is closed on Saturday and Sunday and during regularly scheduled student holidays. The Health Center is located in Eckford Hall. For questions, call (662) 329-7289.

Student health insurance may be obtained through a commercial carrier.

Campus Recreation 

MUW Campus Recreation strives to provide quality recreation opportunities for the MUW Community and to create a safe environment that fosters development of the mind, body, and soul. Program offerings such as RecFitness, Personal Training, Intramural Sports, Open Recreation, and Special Events activate your mind, exercise your body, and enhance your soul.

The main focus of Campus Recreation is the advancement of the MUW student body in the area of exercise and recreational sports, and with the addition of the Pohl/Stark Recreation Complex it is easy to see we are serious about our mission. The Pohl/Stark Recreation Complex is the newest identity of recreation on the MUW campus. It houses a 5,000 sq. ft. weight room, three multipurpose basketball courts, a three lane walking track that is suspended over two of the basketball courts, two racquetball courts, aerobic studios, a six-lane swimming pool, and locker rooms. The office of Campus Recreation and the Department of Health and Kinesiology are located within the Pohl/Stark Recreation Complex. Its main purpose is to serve the recreational and educational needs of the MUW student body.

The services provided by the Office of Campus Recreation are free for any registered MUW student. For information concerning Campus Recreation, contact 662-241-7494, campusrecreation@muw.edu


Office of Housing and Residence Life’s Counseling Services offer developmental, wellness, and remedial confidential counseling services to individual and groups of students in a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. These services are free and are offered with a focus upon the well-being and emotional health of our clientele. The following additional services are provided:

  • Mental health screening and prevention programs through the year, i.e., depression, anxiety, alcohol abuse, and eating disorders.
  • Information and literature on various mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, grief, stress/time management, test anxiety, relationship concerns, sexual assault, adult survivors of abuse, and other personal concerns.
  • Referrals to outside professional agencies, if necessary. MUW students are welcome to call or stop in to schedule an appointment at the Counseling Center or Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Counseling Services can be contacted by visiting 324 11th Street South, Columbus, MS 39701 or by calling (662) 329-7748.

Dining Services

Another vital aspect of University life is the availability of well-balanced meals prepared by Dining Services. The Nancy Hogarth Cafeteria offers unlimited seconds on traditional menus as well as an International stir fry, pizza, grill and a made to order deli along with a soup and salad bar area. Special theme dinners, picnics, and steak nights are scheduled each semester. For the health conscious college student, healthy choices and vegetarian items are available at every meal.

Anyone entering the Dining Center will be required to swipe his/her I.D. card for each meal, pay with their flex dollars or pay cash. Only the individual identified on the I.D. Card may use the card. Students may enter the Dining Hall as often as they wish during the day but must swipe their I.D. card at each time. No outside food may be brought into the dining hall. The Subway Cafe offers an area where individuals who bring their own lunch can sit and enjoy the company of their friends.

Dining Center: The Dining Services facilities are for the use of students, faculty, staff and their guests. Guest meals must be paid for at the current guest meal rates.

The Subway Café: The Subway Cafe is open for your recreation and relaxation during the day. It is a friendly place for meeting with friends to enjoy custom sandwiches, sodas, and snacks. Hours of operation of The Subway Cafe are posted at the entrances.

Special Diets: Resident students with special medical diets may present them to the University Health Center. With the Health Center’s approval, the diet request is sent to the director of Dining Services with instructions for the student to make an appointment to discuss the diet. The individual’s likes and dislikes, class schedule, etc. will be discussed, so that the diet and time can be arranged to best suit the student’s needs.

For more information: Dining Services, (662) 329-7411.

Student Life

The Office of Student Life aspires to engage students in diverse learning opportunities that will be influential in their personal and professional development. The Office of Student Life implements programs and services that meet the involvement needs of the student body and offers a variety of programs and services that enhance the education of students. Student Life involvement opportunities include community service, leadership development, diversity education and programs, student government, student activities, campus traditions, and social clubs and Greek Life. Student Life also coordinates transitional programing such as orientations and fall welcome week.

6.5 Student Handbook

Each year, in addition to the Undergraduate Bulletin, MUW publishes a Student Handbook with valuable information such as: the Student Code of Conduct and Judicial Procedures, Rules on Student Organizations, Events Scheduling Procedures, and other policies and procedures related to campus life. The Student Handbook also summarizes many of the policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin and serves as a user-friendly guide to the campus. The full Student Handbook is published online and can be found on the Student Affairs area of MUW’s website. A link is provided on the Current Students landing page. An abridged version of the handbook is also included in the agenda that is given to all residential students at the beginning of the year.