Mar 03, 2024
The purpose of the Interdisciplinary Studies program is to provide a coherent and rigorous, yet flexible, course of study that will allow students to combine two or three academic disciplines to meet a clearly-defined intellectual or professional goal. Each student will be required to propose a specific course of study to the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee for approval. The proposal will define a course of study, explain the student’s goals for the proposed course of study, and explain how the specific arrangement of courses provides a coherent program to achieve those goals. The Committee, which will include faculty representation from all colleges in the university, will review each student’s plan for compliance with the program requirements. The program will require a total of 124 semester hours of course work. Students must complete all requirements for the General Education Curriculum and all general requirements for the BA degree.
General requirements are as follows:
- Complete a minimum of 124 credit hours to graduate. Note: No more than 62 semester hours of community/junior college coursework (including AP and CLEP credit) can be applied to any baccalaureate degree.
- Complete General Education Curriculum.
- The major consists of 39 hours: 36 hours taken in two disciplines (completing no fewer than 12 hours in a single discipline) OR three disciplines (12 hours in each) ; AND 3 hours for IS 499.
- Any courses used to satisfy the General Education Curriculum cannot be used toward the 39 hours required of the major.
- Complete 27 or more hours of the required 124 credit hours at the 300- or 400-level within the two or three disciplines that comprise the student’s major program of study.
- Minimum grade of C required.
The following is a list of approved disciplines for Interdisciplinary Studies:
|*Art (Studio Courses)
|Health & Kinesiology
*Art - Studio Courses – All courses are studio art courses.
**Art History – All courses are art history courses.
(Minimum grade of C required)
Total Hours Required for a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies: 124 Semester Hours