Jan 30, 2023  
2022-2023 Student Handbook 
2022-2023 Student Handbook

Student Resources, Programs & Services


The purpose and mission of The Bookend (or MUW Bookstore) is to provide necessary books and course materials to the students and faculty of MUW in order to fulfill the primary mission as an institution of higher education. The Bookend is located on the first floor of the Hogarth Student Center. It is open from 7:45 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Thursday and 7:45 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Fridays. Cash and major credit cards VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover are accepted.

The Office of University Accounting will issue “Book Vouchers” within two weeks of the beginning of each semester to allow students who will be receiving financial aid to charge their books prior to receiving the actual financial aid disbursements. College students soon discover that textbooks are expensive. They are expensive because they are costly to write, publish, ship, and sell. Students’ textbook investment will average about 10 percent or more of the total cost of their education. The Bookend strives to provide students with the choice of new, used, digital, or rental books. New textbooks are purchased from publishers while used or rental books may be purchased from used book companies and from MUW students. Not all books are available for digital, used or rental purchase. Students are able to sell back their books any time of the year unless otherwise specified.  The Bookend’s refund policy is posted throughout the store.

For more information, contact The Bookend, (662) 329-7409 or http://www.bncollege.com.


Campus Recreation strives to provide quality recreation opportunities for The W community and to create a safe environment that fosters development of the mind, body, and soul. Five program areas (Aquatics, Intramural Sports, Open Recreation, Special Events, and Wellness) provide excitement and diversity to everyday, campus life.  

Campus Recreation manages the Stark Recreation Center. Stark Recreation Center houses a 5,000 square foot strength/conditioning room, 3 basketball/volleyball courts, an elevated indoor track, 1 racquetball court, 1 functional fitness room, 1 aerobic studio, an atrium with table games and gaming consoles, locker rooms, and an indoor 6 lane swimming pool. The dynamic facility features space for recreation and fitness in addition to classrooms, lounges, and meeting rooms.

Campus Recreation employs a large number of students each year to manage the Recreation Center and coordinate programming. Students find employment ranging from Intramural officials and scorekeepers to facility staff, personal trainers, lifeguards, and office assistants.  Campus Recreation also offers internship opportunities and 2 Graduate Assistantships, one in Intramural Sports and one in Aquatics.

The usage of the facilities provided by Campus Recreation is free for full-time registered MUW students. Supplementary membership opportunities are available for an additional fee.

For more information, call (662) 241-7494 or email campusrecreation@muw.edu.


The Office of Career Services, located on the second floor of Welty Hall in the Department of Development/Alumni, provides career planning and development assistance responsive to the unique needs of students. We also offer job search assistance to aid students in seeking part-time and full-time off campus employment and internships as well as career management advice for graduating seniors and recent graduates. Career-related services are provided to help students explore and identify suitable academic majors/minors and/or career action plans. In partnership with academic departments, Career Services promotes a greater awareness of the world of work and the need to view career development as a lifelong process.

For additional information go to www.muw.edu/careerservices or contact the Career Specialist at (662)241-7619.


The Office of Community Service recruits volunteers from the campus community, networks with service agencies in the community that need volunteers, and matches in order to place volunteers with an agency of their choosing. The office offers a variety of afternoon, one-day, and weekend service opportunities in the Columbus/Lowndes County community and within the Southeastern region.

For additional information, contact (662) 329-7350 or visit Cochran Hall 2nd floor.


The W’s Counseling Center offers services to all students including those who live on campus, off campus, and for those who attend the university through online classes. All services are confidential and free of charge to currently enrolled students and include individual, group, couples, and distance counseling (online counseling for students who are unable to attend face to face counseling). The staff members are licensed by the state of Mississippi and are qualified by the regulations of the state boards.

Mental health prevention, educational programs, and teambuilding exercises are offered throughout the year to classes, organizations, and departments by the Counseling Center staff. If there are programs that you would like to have on campus regarding counseling related issues, please inform a staff member at the Counseling Center.

Information and literature on various mental health issues are available for students, faculty, and staff members. Issues related to depression, anxiety, grief, stress/time management, test anxiety, relationship concerns, sexual assault, adult survivors of abuse, and other personal matters are on hand.

To make an appointment MUW students are welcome to stop by the Counseling Center, by calling at (662)329-7748, or filling out the appointment section on our webpage www.muw.edu/centers/counseling.  Referrals to outside professional agencies can be made if necessary. Hours are from 8am-5pm (Monday-Friday) and after hours by appointment only. The Counseling Center, also known as “The Blue House” is located at 324 11th Street South, Columbus, MS 39701.


Another vital aspect of University life is the availability of well-balanced meals prepared by Dining Services. The Nancy Hogarth Cafeteria offers unlimited seconds on traditional menus as well as an International stir fry, pizza, grill, a gluten free Simple Servings Station and a made to order deli along with a soup and salad bar area. Special theme dinners, picnics, and steak nights are scheduled each semester. For the health conscious college student, healthy choices and vegetarian items are available at every meal.

Anyone entering the Dining Center will be required to swipe his/her I.D. card for each meal, pay with flex dollars or pay cash. Only the individual identified on the I.D. Card may use the card. Students may enter the Dining Hall as often as they wish during the day but must swipe their I.D. card at each time. No outside food may be brought into the dining hall. The Subway Cafe offers an area where individuals who bring their own lunch can sit and enjoy the company of their friends.

Student organizations may utilize Dining Services for carry-out food, or catered banquets and receptions served in one of the private dining rooms. Menu choices/prices are available in the catering brochure available from the Dining Services office. A two-week notice is requested for all catering events.

Students should select only food items that you plan to consume in the Dining Hall. Any student who is ill and unable to travel to the Dining Hall may request a meal be brought to his/her room by an individual they send at no extra cost. A note from the University Health Center Nurse must be presented when the individual arrives at the Dining Hall to get the meal. The individual must also present the ill student’s I.D.

Hogarth Dining Center: The Dining Center facilities are for the use of students, faculty, staff and their guests. You are encouraged to have guests dine with you in the Dining Center. Guests should be accompanied by a person presenting a valid I.D. Guest meals must be paid for at the current guest meal rates. Current guest meal prices are posted at the Dining Center entrance.

Hogarth Dining Center Hours:


Breakfast: 7:00a.m. to 10:30a.m. (Monday-Friday)                                                                                      

Lunch: 11:00a.m. to 1:30p.m. (Monday-Friday)                                                                                          

Dinner: 5:00p.m. to 7:00p.m. (Monday-Friday)                                                                              


Brunch: 10:00a.m. to 1:30p.m. (Saturday-Sunday)                                                                                            

Dinner: 5:00p.m. to 6:30p.m. (Saturday- Sunday)



Breakfast: 7:00a.m. to 9:00a.m. (Monday-Friday)

Lunch: 11:00a.m. to 1:00p.m. (Monday-Friday)

Dinner: 4:30p.m. to 6:00p.m. (Monday-Friday)


Brunch: 10:00a.m. to 1:00p.m. (Saturday-Sunday)

Dinner: 5:00p.m. to 6:30p.m. (Saturday-Sunday)


The Subway Café: The Subway Cafe, located in Hogarth, is open for your recreation and relaxation during the day. It is a friendly place for meeting with friends to enjoy custom sandwiches, sodas, and snacks. Hours of operation of The Subway Cafe are posted at the entrances.

Common Grounds: A coffee shop located in the Fant Memorial Library featuring Starbucks Coffee as well as other grab and go food and beverages. Hours of operation are posted in its service area.

Simply to Go: Simply to Go is located in the lobby of Parkinson Hall next to Nissan Auditorium and features grab and go food and beverages. Hours are posted at the service area.

Dress: At all times, appearance should be presentable for public dining. In order to meet minimum safety, health and sanitation standards, footwear and shirts must be worn at all times.

Holidays and Vacations: Dining Services will not be provided between semesters and during the Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break. Generally, hours will be modified whenever classes are not scheduled and the Dining Services is open. (Usually weekend hours)

Organizations and Hall Parties/Picnics: Dining Services welcome the opportunity to assist student groups in planning and preparing food for picnics or other food functions. Plans should be made in advance with the director of Dining Services. The price for such occasions will be determined by the cost of the food and services provided.

Special Diets: Resident students with special medical diets may present them to the University Health Center. With the Health Center’s approval, the diet request is sent to the director of Dining Services with instructions for the student to make an appointment to discuss the diet. The individual’s likes and dislikes, class schedule, etc. will be discussed, so that the diet and time can be arranged to best suit the student’s needs.          

For more information: Dining Services, (662) 329-7411.


There are three sources available to obtain part-time employment: Financial Aid; Human Resources (http://www.muw.edu/hr/studentwork); or Career Services.

For more information, contact one of the following: Financial Aid Center (662) 329-7114; Human Resources (662) 329-7222; or Career Services (662) 241-7619.


The Financial Aid Center is located in Welty Hall, Room 107. The staff administers student financial aid which includes federal and state grants, scholarships, loans and work study. The W also provides a variety of scholarships based on academic achievement, leadership abilities, and/or merit. Priority deadlines vary for the federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs. To ensure your request for financial assistance is given full consideration for available funds, you should apply by April 1.  

Financial aid awards are made with an assumption that you will enroll as a full-time student in 12 or more hours.  Federal Pell Grants are prorated if you are less than full time.Federal Direct Loans require you to enroll in at least six hours per semester to be eligible for an award. State aid programs require 15 hours of enrollment per semester. The financial aid center monitors your attendance to ensure that awards are paid only for classes that you attend. Failure to begin attendance in any course that results in enrollment below the minimum required hours will result in the award being withdrawn. Cancellation of a class by the university that results in enrollment below the minimum required hours will result in the award being withdrawn if the student does not add a class. Please contact your advisor and/or the Financial Aid Center before making any changes that could affect your enrollment status.

Payment of Funds to Student Accounts

Financial aid funds from all sources will be applied to each student’s account balance for tuition, fees, and other institutional charges after the student has registered and attendance has been verified. Book Vouchers may be obtained from the University Accounting Office to allow books to be charged to the student account as long as aid funds will cover all fees and projected book charges. Funds will be disbursed no earlier than 10 days after the beginning of classes. Funds remaining after all charges are paid will be refunded to the student by the University Accounting Office.

Students earn aid funds through attendance; therefore, students who fail to attend classes within the first three class meetings may not receive the awards that were scheduled. Awards are subject to cancellation and possible repayment if those funds were previously used to pay institutional charges. Students who withdraw from classes later in the semester before reaching the 60 percent point in the semester may have a pro rata portion of their aid funds returned to federal fund accounts or lenders as required by federal regulations.  If the return results in a credit balance, the student will be responsible for paying the school back the portion that was returned. At that time, a hold will be placed on the account which will prevent future enrollment and an inability to obtain a transcript.

For more information, call (662) 329-7114 or email to finaid@muw.edu.


Ambulatory care and health education are goals of the Campus Health Center. All students are eligible to use the Health Center. No fee is charged for routine visits though there is a nominal charge for medications, supplies and complete physical exams.  The Health Center does not accept or bill insurance, payment is cash or check. The Health Center is administered by the Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, and it is staffed by nurse practitioners who are faculty members in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. The Nurse Practitioners are doctorally prepared registered nurses who in their expanded role are licensed to diagnose and treat many common conditions. The protocols for treatment are developed in conjunction with the Mississippi Board of Nursing and a collaborating physician.

The Health Center is located in the Eckford Building. The hours of operation for the Health Center are 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. (Monday-Friday), closing one hour for lunch each day. The center is closed on Saturday, Sunday, and during regularly scheduled student holidays.

The Nurse Practitioner is available four to five days per week from 8:00a.m. to 12 noon and from 1:30p.m. to 4:00p.m. At times, it may be necessary to stop accepting patients prior to 12 noon and 4:00 p.m. due to an elevated patient load.

Student health insurance may be obtained through a commercial carrier. Information and pamphlets may be obtained in the Health Center.

For more information, call (662)329-7289.


The University provides two locations on campus, shielded from view and free from intrusion of others, for breastfeeding students to express milk.  These locations are open from 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.

The designated locations are as follows:

  1. Education and Human Sciences, Room 121D
  2. Cochran Hall, Room 311

Each designated space may be used by students to breastfeed or to express milk using a breast pump.  The space may be used for other purposes, but will be available for the nursing mothers’ use as needed.  Each designated location includes a table, a chair, and an electrical outlet.  The designated locations are identified by signage marking each one as a “Lactation Room.”

Students may temporarily store their breast milk on the premises in any refrigerator that is normally available for students’ use.  Refrigerators used in laboratories or for business purposes are excluded.  The nursing mother will provide her own containers.  Milk stored in a campus refrigerator should be clearly labeled with name and date.  If a refrigerator is not available, mothers may bring in a small ice chest for storing breast milk.

Any other private space that can be locked may be utilized by students for the expression of breast milk, with permission of the student’s dean.  Additionally, a nursing mother has the right to breastfeed her child in any location she and her child are otherwise authorized to be.


The Office of Housing and Residence Life is responsible for the operation of the residence halls on campus and Conference Services. (See Section 10, Housing and Residence Life for additional information).

Guest Housing

When space permits, overnight guest accommodations are available for a nominal fee. Reservations must be made within the Office of Housing and Residence Life, 24 hours prior to the overnight stay.

Residence Halls

The W provides six residence hall options for male and female students who carry a minimum of six hours of academic credits per semester. Contracts are available for the summer and the full academic year.

The Office of Housing and Residence Life is located in Cochran Hall on the Second Floor, call (662) 329-7127, email at housing@muw.edu or visit http://www.muw.edu/housing.


The Ina E. Gordy Honors College fosters academic excellence and responsible citizenship, offering academic community with similarity motivated students, opportunities to work closely with faculty across campus, and hands-on, real-world experiences that matter, including independent research, community engagement, and study abroad.

Students who successfully complete all requirements of the Honors College curriculum, including the senior research project, graduate with honors in their major area of study. 

Honors College participation is required of Centennial and Honors scholarship recipients. Presidential scholarship recipients (both freshmen and transfers) automatically qualify and only need to contact the Honors College to enroll. Other entering freshmen may apply for admission with composite ACT score of 24 or higher (or equivalent on other entrance exams). After enrolling at MUW, students may apply to enter the Honors College with a GPA of  3.4 or above. Transfer students may also apply to enter the Honors College with a GPA of 3.4 or above.

The Honors College expects members to maintain high academic standards. The minimum GPA to remain in good standing is 3.0, and students must have a GPA of at least 3.3 to enter the independent study in the senior year. 

For more information, contact the Ina E. Gordy Honors College at (662) 241-6850 or honors@muw.edu or visit http://www.muw.edu/honors.


Located in the heart of campus, Fant Memorial Library provides a welcoming environment and a range of resources and services to meet campus needs.

Our spaces:

  • Common Grounds coffee shop
  • 13 study rooms with online reservations
  • 2 computer labs including the Digital Classroom, which is available 24/7 with card access

Home to:

Our services:

Online and in-person research help (Ask Athena)

  • Call: 662-329-7332
  • Text: 662-596-1053
  • Email: library@muw.edu
  • Chat: askathena.muw.edu
  • Tweet: @MUWAthena
  • Online Research Guides: libguides.muw.edu
  • Or just stop by to ask a question or tour our book robot Athena!

Interlibrary Loan - request any research materials (articles, books, newspapers, etc.) from other libraries (muw.edu/library/research/ill)


  • Print black and white for $0.10/page, or color for $0.25/page
  • Print 3D objects from one of our three 3D printers, free for any academic prints and up to 10 personal prints per semester
  • Print research posters with our Wide Format Printer, $5/linear foot


  • Borrow speakers, headphones, whiteboards, VR googles, and more: libreserves.muw.edu
  • Use Adobe software in our Digital Classroom to design high-quality print materials
  • Use the interactive touch-scrreens in the Hughson Seminar Room and Study Room D to collaborate, brainstorm, and create
  • Scan 3D objects for printing or designing

Our Collections:

Online collections:

  • Over 100 databases, with access to millions of articles
  • More than 25,000 e-books

Print items available at Fant Memorial Library

  • 75,000+ circulating items in the 2nd floor stacks
  • 400+ print journals and magazines
  • 160,000+ items in Athena

Library hours, including holiday hours, are posted on the library’s website: muw.edu/library


Mail Services oversees the operation and distribution of the University’s mail and packages. It is located on the first floor of the Hogarth Student Union. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, unless stated otherwise.

Mail Services provides professional customer service when you purchase postage stamps/envelopes, pick up departmental mail, pick up packages, mail first class items and/or mail items using Priority Mail. We have convenient drop slots for use before/after hours for stamped, metered and campus mail. We apologize we are not set up to accept debit/credit cards. We accept cash only. Mail Services discourages sending cash through the mail.

Mail Services does not provide special mail services such as money orders, USPS tracking, delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, certified mail, express mail, registered mail, return receipt, mail insurance, international mail, etc. You may visit the nearest post office located downtown on Main Street or visit United States Postal Service at http://www.usps.com. Students who reside on campus are eligible for a mailbox. Please stop by Mail Services for mailbox assignment. All students are strongly encouraged to check their boxes regularly:

Correct Address:

It is important for all incoming mail to be addressed as follows:

(Your Name)

1100 College Street

MUW - (Your Box Number)

Columbus, MS 39701-5800

Receiving: All packages (USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL) are delivered to Mail Services. Text and/or emails will be sent to students once their package is logged in at Mail Services. Students must show their current ID before signing for packages. Because of ever-changing volumes of mail/packages and limited space, we ask students to please pick up all packages as soon as possible. We will hold a package for 3 business days - this will vary during holidays, spring break, winter break, etc. If you think delivery will take place during your absence, please stop by Mail Services or call them at (662)329-7408 for assistance.


Friendship, development of leadership skills, and the opportunity to provide a service to the campus and community are among the advantages of social organization membership. Overall grade point average requirements for each organization may vary; contact the Office of Student Life for information about organization requirements.

Local Organizations

Honorary Organizations: These clubs offer opportunities for women to get involved on campus. Membership selection for the honorary clubs is by invitation only.

Four Year Organizations: These clubs offer opportunities for students to get involved on campus. Four-year social clubs make up the Interclub Council. Recruitment and interest meetings for these clubs are held at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters.

Local Greek Organizations: The local fraternity sponsors or participates in a number of events for the benefit of their members and for the community at large. Membership selection (Rush) takes place during the fall and spring semesters.

National Organizations

One national fraternity and four national sororities are represented on campus, and these organizations promote high academic standards, serve the community, and provide educational and awareness opportunities for campus and the community. New Member Intake for the national organizations varies each year, but information can be obtained through the Office of Student Life. The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is the governing body for the national Greek organizations.     

For more information, please see Section 3, Registered Student Organizations or contact the Office of Student Life, Cochran Hall 2nd Floor, (662) 329-7350.


All students at The W are represented by the Student Government Association (SGA) through representation on the Administrative Council and Academic Council, as well as other academic and co-curricular committees. The SGA works to advocate for student needs and address student concerns. SGA also offers students excellent opportunities for leadership development and growth.

For additional information, visit your SGA officers in Cochran Hall 407.


The Student Programming Board (SPB) is a campus organization that allows students to plan and produce special events on campus. SPB sponsors events like special performances, campus traditions, and novelties throughout the year. SPB strives to bring quality entertainment and educational programs to campus that complement the mission of the University and the Division of Student Affairs. Members of SPB are committed to providing valuable educational experiences outside the classroom and hope to serve the cultural, educational, recreational and social interests of the W’s student body. By becoming directly involved in planning and presenting these events, students have the opportunity to develop many life skills, including leadership, management, public relations, decision-making and creative thinking. Membership selection is held in the fall semester.


The Student Success Center ensures that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to learn and to express their knowledge.  It is the policy and practice of our University to comply with the requirements of Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as other federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of disability. MUW students requesting disability accommodations should complete a request form at http://www.muw.edu/ssc/disability and contact the Student Support Specialist at (662) 329-7138 or ada@muw.edu.   Students should also contact the Student Success Center concerning program or service-related complaints related to disability issues. The office can provide students with the procedures for anti-discrimination grievances.


Students are urged to carry health insurance to cover illnesses and accidents that may occur while they are enrolled.  Coverage is not provided by the University, but information can be obtained from an outside source, such as the internet or through a local insurance agency.