Oct 19, 2018
The General Studies Degree Program is an individualized, nontraditional program designed to provide a broader freedom of course choices than is available in traditional majors. Admission to the General Studies major requires approval of the General Studies Coordinator. Completion of the General Studies major provides students with basic preparation for many careers and graduate/professional programs.
- Complete a minimum of 124 credit hours to graduate.
- Complete 36 credit hours of course work at MUW
- Complete General Education Curriculum.
- Complete 32 or more hours of the required 124 credit hours at the 300-level or above (this includes GS 400 General Studies Seminar).
General Studies Information:
The General Studies major will require 38 semester hours of course work beyond the general education curriculum. (Note: Courses used to satisfy the University General Education Curriculum cannot count toward the 38 hours required of the major.) All course counting toward a focus group in the major must be completed with a grade of C or higher. 50 percent of each focus group must be earned at MUW. Students may select from two options:
- Twelve (12) semester hours in each of three focus groups with at least six (6) semester hours in each focus group at the 300-level or above.
- Eighteen (18) semester hours in each of two focus groups with at least nine (9) semester hours in each focus group at the 300-level or above.
The ten (10) focus groups are as follows:
- Focus Group I: Fine and Performing Arts – Art, Music, Theatre
- Focus Group II: Natural Sciences – Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Physics
- Focus Group III: Human Sciences – Family Studies, Psychology, Sociology
- Focus Group IV: Business-MIS, Marketing, Management, Finance
- Focus Group V: Culinary Arts – Culinary Arts, Nutrition
- Focus Group VI: Humanities I – English, Foreign Languages, Philosophy, Communication, Religion
- Focus Group VII: Humanities II – History, Political Science, Geography
- Focus Group VIII: Mathematics/Programming – Mathematics, Fortran, Programming in C++
- Focus Group IX: Health Related Programs – Health and Kinesiology
- Focus Group X: Pre-Professional Programs – *Education, *Baccalaureate Nursing, *Speech-Language Pathology, Paralegal Studies
* Credit in Education, Baccalaureate Nursing, and Speech-Language Pathology, must be earned prior to application to General Studies major.
The capstone course is intended to be taken during the final regular term of attendance in the program of study. Minimum grade of C or above required.
Total Hours Required for a BS in General Studies: 124 Semester Hours