Aug 25, 2019
In addition to the general degree requirements (see “Academic Policies and Procedure” and “Academic Programs” in this catalog) and the curriculum requirements noted below, the student must successfully complete the following:
- A minimum of 42 hours of Graduate credit and clinical practicum. (A minimum of 30 hours must be in major coursework, and no more than 6 hours of clinical practicum may be counted towards the 42 hours.)
- All academic and clinical practicum requirements for ASHA’s Certificate of Clinical Competence. (Mississippi licensure and teacher certification requirements must also be completed.)
- Written comprehensive examinations. (The student will have only two opportunities to pass the written examinations.)
Transfer of Credit
Up to six hours of graduate credit may be transferred into the program. A student who has completed twenty-five hours of observation and any clinical practicum hours at a CAA accredited university and who wants these hours considered for transfer must have the program director from the previous school verify the observation and clinical practicum hours.
Clinical Requirements and Responsibilities:
Before enrolling in clinical practicum, the student must present evidence of the following:
- Professional liability insurance.
- Results of a tuberculin skin test.
- Hepatitis immunization or a signed declination statement, to be determined by the clinical site.
- CPR certification.
- Criminal background check.
- 25 observation hours earned and verified by an CAA accredited institution.
Note: Affiliate practicum sites may stipulate additional requirements.
Students are responsible for supplying and paying for their own transportation for clinical practica.
The Speech-Language Pathology Graduate program progression policy is as follows:
- An overall SLP Graduate Program GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale must be maintained.
- In the event a graduate student’s overall graduate GPA drops below 3.0 the student is placed on academic probationary status.
- A student with probationary status must earn grades in SLP academic graduate courses sufficient to achieve an overall graduate GPA of 3.0 during the semester immediately following the term during which the probation was determined. Failure to raise the overall SLP graduate GPA to a 3.0 will result in dismissal from the program.
- A minimum grade of C in all courses is required. Students may not count more than six (6) credit hours with a grade of C toward the M.S. degree. SLP courses may only be repeated one time. In the event a student repeats a course and earns a grade of C or lower, he/she will be dismissed from the program.
- Any student on academic probation status will not e allowed to enroll in clinical practicum.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of B- in the third semester of on-campus practicum prior to being assigned to an off-campus site. In the event a student earns a grade below a B-, he/she must enroll in a fourth semester of on-campus practicum. If a minimum grade of B- is then earned, the student may enroll in off-campus practicum the following semester. If a student earns below a B- in the fourth semester of on-campus practicum, the student will be dismissed from the program.
- The student must earn a passing score on all three sections of the PRAXIS I before enrolling in a public school practicum.
- Failure to progress satisfactorily as outlined above will result in dismissal from the SLP Graduate Program.
- Any student may be dismissed from the program for unsafe practice, unethical and/or illegal conduct. In this event, a grade of F will be recorded for the course(s) affected. Readmission will not be considered for students dismissed under these circumstances.
- In the event a student is dismissed from the SLP Graduate Program for academic reasons, readmission will be granted only on the recommendation of the Graduate Student Scholastic Appeals Committee. A student may appeal for readmission one time only.
- The student must have a graduate GPA of 3.0 in SLP in order to earn a degree.
- Students must report any arrest or disqualifying event which occurs while enrolled in the program to the SLP Program Chair. Failure to report will result in dismissal from the program.
No more than 6 hours of credit with the grade of C may be counted toward the degree.
Required Courses: (27 Semester Hours)
Elective Courses: (9 Semester Hours, Minimum)
Clinical Practicum: (6 Semester Hours)
Graduate students in Speech-Language Pathology are required to register for at least one clinical practicum course each semester they are enrolled, beginning with three semesters of SPA 513 and culminating with two semesters of SPA 515. However, only 6 hours of credit applies toward the degree.